Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Poetry Wednesday




These are my three friends who make up my survival kit on a hard winter's day whom I'm trying to say goodbye to...

After seeing "Food INC." I don't think I can ever buy Tyson again! The kids aren't fasting yet and this sure made dinner time easy. It saved me so many hours of cooking in the kitchen and gave me more time to play. I'll miss you crispy critters!

Paper plates, I don't know that I'm ready to say goodbye quite yet but we won't be seeing much of each other. Ella is learning about recycling and is now questioning me on why I use these so much. UGH! Conscience calling!

And coffee, sweet nectar from God.. With a tiny little fibroid making it's presence known you will only be seen once a week. I'm going to get used to drinking chai. Ho hum...

So a somewhat related but not really poem that I love but I'm sure you all have heard a million times always serves to remind me to slow down and enjoy my kids. This poem seems to have taken on a life of it's own with a myriad of variations and authors. This is one of my favorites. I hope you can enjoy it! Sorry my entry is late! Forgive my grammar, etc. In a hurry!

Song for a Fifth Child

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan,
poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs.
Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby
and babies don't keep.

by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Monica said...

I am there. I hope I'm not too late :)